Simple traditional calabash
In natural material
The calabash is the traditional Latin American container in which the drink of the yerba maté is sucked into using a bombilla (special straw with a filter at its end)
To enjoy yerba maté, you need three essentials: maté, a calabash, a bombilla
1- Prepare the hot water, not boiling, ideally between 70° and 80°.
2- Pour the mate into the calabash up to ¾ and shake it while closing the container with your hand
3- Place the bombilla in the empty hollow of the inclined calabash
4- Add the hot water to the hollow where the bombilla is located.
5- Let infuse for a few seconds and enjoy
6- Once the beverage is finished, it can be re-infused several times
To make the most of your mate, it is essential to maintain your calabash properly. This will ensure a long life and a lower risk of mould.
1. Clean the mate pot before first use
- fill 2/3 of the yerba maté container
- add non-boiling hot water (at the risk of cracking)
- wait a few minutes, when the water level has dropped, add more
- allow the mixture to infuse for at least 48 hours so that the walls are impregnated, the structure will be strengthened and the taste of the next infusions will be better
- empty and scrape the bark from the walls with a spoon, rinsing occasionally
- your calabash is ready, you can now prepare your first mate!
2. Discard the mate after tasting
Yerba maté swells with water and exerts pressure on the walls that can cause cracks. It is important to get rid of the grass quickly and clean the container.
3. Clean and dry
Rinse the calabash with hot water, making sure that nothing remains at the bottom. Dry vigorously by positioning the calabash at an angle to allow optimal (very important) ventilation and to avoid any risk of mould.